Friday, June 24, 2005

A Fast Friday Look Down the Street



NOB HILL--Husayn Bin-Bilal, a UNM student and red-shirt freshman defensive lineman for the Lobos, plays an early evening game of chess with his father, Hassan. The two had just finished eating at Il Vicino. What a great way to spend some time with your dad. Unfortunately for Husayn, Dad won.

Now I am no judge of football talent, but anytime Rocky Long recruits a chess-playing lineman I am all for it. By the way, Husayn has a little brother playing chess for the Taos Elementary School Nighthawks under coaching legend Dennis Hedges.

I know you're smiling as you read this...but I'm telling you this stuff is important! Chess has more "life lessons" to teach than most of traditional school curriculum. Chess generalizes to life so easily: like, What do you do when you don't know what to do? Or how about this skill: What are my strengths in this position and what are my weaknesses? Young chess players seldom worry about winning. The passion is in the effort. Well, you get the picture.


As far as football is concerned, TheRedMenace had this to say about Husayn's spring practice with the Lobos in April:
#99 Husayn Bin-Bilal I have Husayn down for at least 1 sack perhaps 2 and just some tough run defense in the middle. Sure he was knocked down a couple of times, but he keeps coming full steam ahead.

No comments: