Friday, August 11, 2006

Back...And Warned

NOB HILL--Ken Saville picked me up at the airport in his truck. "You're gonna be depressed!" he said. "I always was," he continued. Ken has trekked around a lot. In fact, he once went out for a walk and returned two years later. I don't know if depression will hit me...so far only numbness has set in.

Oh MaryAnn is wonderful! I am the luckiest guy in the world! She will help me back into the real world.

I'm back from Canada. Mike and I made it all the way to the end: Jasper, Alberta...almost 1100 miles on bicycles in the last 3 1/2 weeks. After Missoula we camped out every night, which explains the lack of posts. Most internet access is available in motels.

The trip back was nothing but good news. We had boxed up our bikes ourselves from boxes thrown out by a local bike shop in Jasper and Frontier Airlines only charged us $59 for each. They accepted the trailers as you see them.

Mike has almost all the pictures on his laptop, so I can't show much at this point. But I do have a "postcard" for you of the Banff Springs Hotel. This was taken from the bus as we made our way back to Calgary for the flight home. This was basically the only day with a lot of rain.
The hotel was built in 1886 for $3,000,000. The room rates run from about $500 to $5000 per night. There is, of course, an off-season discount. Believe it or not, this is only about double the rates for a "regular" motel. As I said, we camped out.

No comments: