Thursday, June 28, 2007

THE BIG BIKE TRIP!!!

CENTRAL & TINGLEY DR. NW--Oh, did I mention that starting July 14th I will be riding my bicycle across America? This is the Transamerica Trail first designated during the bicentennial year of 1976. It goes from Astoria, Oregon to Yorktown, Virginia. Joining me for at least the first thousand miles will be my biking partner Mike (Mike Biker) Moye. I hope he pedals with me longer.

At any rate I am in training. My body is not perfect...however, I decided not to wait until it was. My plane ticket to Portland is for July 13th...Friday the 13th that is.

I already took my bike to Two-Wheel Drive to have the wheels rebuilt by their ace bike mechanic, Jeff. So I am riding my #2 bicycle, this 10-year-old Giant hybrid. It does deserve some respect: it has carried me over 11,000 miles without a lot of problems.

I've got it loaded down this week with everything from a gallon of water to a hatchet and a couple of propane bottles. I have been riding 34 miles each day this week carrying this weight of about 15 to 20 pounds. Most of the time it has been in the heat of the day, around 95 or 100 degrees.

I can't seem to think about anything except the ride.

No comments: