Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Car Plows Into Wall At Bandelier Elementary School


BANDELIER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, NOB HILL--I was waiting for the car in front of me to move on Tulane crossing Coal SE. After a while I honked. Nothing. I got out and went up to the car. "Are you all right?" I asked. "Are you okay?"

The driver nodded and said, "Yes...I'm okay." He looked high. I pulled my 4Runner around to the right. A schoolbus came around the corner and stopped directly across from the nodding driver. She was having a hard time getting past him. I got out. I whispered across the top of the stopped car and she caught my drift. She had a cell phone and called 911. I was afraid he was going to suddenly accelerate into the heavy traffic on Coal. My 4Runner was sticking out into Coal and there were cars in back of me. I went around the block.

I was back in 30 seconds. I got out to be with the busdriver. I didn't want her to stay there alone with him. But just as I got out he took off under full throttle. "Oh shit!" I shouted. He narrowly missed a parked car, crossed to the east side of Tulane and drove down the sidewalk for a while before getting the still accelerating vehicle back in the street. Then the fire truck came up Coal.

No comments: