Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Lingering Flowers in the Yard


NOB HILL--I don't know about your neighborhood, but here some flowers continue to bloom. Their beauty is startling, especially in this week of falling brown leaves.

Of course, there is the concern of climate change. I saw a program on TV the other night about the mini ice age in the 17th through the 19th centuries. How northern Europe lost their vinyards due to the cold. How ice changed the history of Spain and the Spanish Armada. I fear nothing can stop the changes that seem to be occurring.

Meanwhile, we are treated to the beautiful swansong of autumn slowly slipping away to the southern horizon. Gone are the long hours of sun. Gone is the search for shade.

This is the time of year I first came to New Mexico back in 1970. The warmth of that low sun healed my gray, cold, Chicago-battered soul.

This sun was so welcoming...like a bright smile on the face of someone you would like to meet.

I never left.

No comments: