Thursday, December 16, 2004

And in this corner...Goliath! Goliath!


NOB HILL--Last weekend MaryAnn and I saw the film The Corporation at the Guild. Although I didn't enjoy the film, I have been doing quite a bit of thinking about it. One of the more important points of the film centers on the fact that corporations are legally regarded as persons. The film then presents a psychological profile of a corporation highlighting its sociopathic nature. At any rate, let me condense my thoughts into a couple of points:
  • Corporations, unlike regular men and women (but very much like Dracula) have eternal life. They do indeed live forever, unless dissolved.
  • A large corporation has the economic power of approximately 10,000,000 people. That is figuring a planet-wide income of about $1000 for every man, woman, and child. That is $10 billion for our 10,000,000 people. I think I remember Halliburton signing a contract for almost that much.
So here we have a Giant with eternal life and the power of 10 million people. Scare you? Maybe we need somebody in our corner, like our government.

No comments: