Friday, December 10, 2004

Meet the Poet Laureate of the United States for 2004-2005


NOB HILL--How the world has passed me by! I was doing a google search on one of my favorite poets from long ago and found out he is now Poet Laureate of the United States! Ted Kooser! I never thought those eastern folks had that much sense. Ted Kooser was an insurance adjuster in Nebraska when I started reading him. He had long thin hair, beads, and a shirt that spoke of his part tribal lineage. But if you want to feel the heartland (even more than Garrison Keillor) read Ted Kooser! He doesn't just live in Nebraska, he likes Nebraska.

Read the following poem...please. If you don't like it I'll eat a whole, big chocolate eclaire from the Flying Star while you watch. If you do like it, try this link for a few more. I especially urge you to read Fort Robinson.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many, many thanks for this, j_m. I'm sorry I haven't heard of him before -- his poems are wonderful.

peace, mjh
www.edgewiseblog.com

NewMexiKen said...

Indeed, thanks. As you say, feeling the heartland ... and one's own heart.