Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Here's To You, Alexis Knazovich!

NOB HILL--KNAZOVICH -- Alexis Knazovich, departed this life on November 29, 2004. Born in Northville, MI, on March 2, 1949, she was a resident of Albuquerque, NM for the past two years. She graduated from San Jose State University and taught elementary school in San Jose, CA for 29 years.

Alexis was a member of my investment club. She died of cancer, a brain tumor, at the age of 55. I did not know Alexis real well. But at her funeral today, I may have learned a big lesson. It came out during the homily that two weeks before she died she had gone to Florida with her brother and fulfilled a dream she had to swim with the dolphins. I saw pictures of her doing this displayed at the reception.

What Alexis and her family taught me was not simply to "follow your dream," but how to fend off regret in a world of limited choices. We can't do everything...and we become more and more aware of this. Perhaps we can't do everything, but we can make decent choices. And it really doesn't matter if we love and help animals, or join investment clubs, or start writing blogs upon retirement. In the face of Time, there is a certain amount of irony in everything we do. So smile. God bless Alexis. God bless the dolphins. And God bless all of you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lexy and I grew up in the same neighborhood in Campbell CA and I knew her, though not well, all the way through High School. She was truly a sweet girl and a very caring and concerned person. We all miss her very much

JB said...

I am Lexi's only niece. I miss her very much and appreciate your kind words. Best, Joanna