NOB HILL--What to do with the ripe stuff from your garden is a happy problem. But if you can't eat your cucumbers fast enough, here is an excellent "Bread and Butter Pickles" recipe that you will LOVE. It will make about 3 pints. I got it from AllRecipes. The amounts are a little strange because it was downsized from a 25 cuke original recipe.
- 5 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1-1/4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 5/8 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon and 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a large bowl, mix together cucumbers, onions, green bell peppers, garlic and salt. Allow to stand approximately 3 hours.
- In a large saucepan, mix the cider vinegar, white sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, whole cloves and turmeric. Bring to a boil.
- Drain liquid from the cucumber mixture. Stir the mixture into the boiling vinegar mixture. Remove from heat shortly before the combined mixtures return to boil.
- Transfer to sterile containers. Seal and chill in the refrigerator until serving.