Sunday, September 26, 2004

On the Road...No, On the ROAD

DOWNTOWN--I ran into a couple of guys last week eating at one of those sidewalk places downtown. They had motorcycles parked right in front of the place: a BMW touring bike and a Suzuki bike that looked something like a Harley. They had North Carolina plates. They sure looked happy. We started talking. It seems they are going coast to coast. Right now they are following Route 66, doing about 150 miles a day. That seems about right to me...nice and easy...looking around at everything...sitting in the shade of every neighborhood. One of the riders had a Mac and was doing a web page of the Route 66 part of the journey. I have visited it and it is a thumbnail album with some fantastic pix of the route.

For those who haven't really been on that route, it starts at the Chicago Art Institute on Michigan Ave. and ends at the Santa Monica Pier in Los Angeles. I have been to both ends. Following the old route now is sometimes hard. When I came to New Mexico in 1970, the interstate highway system was not completed and parts ofRoute 66 were still in use. I bet it is about 2500 miles long. 150 miles a day sounds just about right. What a trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great artical! That is my grandpa I am so proud of him.