Monday, September 13, 2004

Turning Red!

NORTH VALLEY--The chile is starting to turn RED! So it is indeed time to get some green. I went up to the Fruit Basket up on North Fourth today and it was selling for about $15 roasted. By the way, the roaster does make a difference. Last year at a different store (I am embarrassed to say which one) the roaster had the burners too hot so he had to stop the roasting early. When I went to peel it, half of the skin wouldn't come off and the other half was burned into little pieces of charcoal! It took forever.

This time, however, I was well taken care of by Jorge...a young man who knows what he is doing. I also bought a 3 ft. ristra of red. I love how bright and rich the color is before it dries out completely. I do use the chile. I pick it off the top of the ristra all year, so by summer it doesn't look too pretty, but that bare string tells its own story.

I stopped to buy freezer bags at the N. 4th St. Smith's. They were out (of course). They had some at the Yale Ave. Smith's store (of course). It came out to 26 freezer bags full with a dozen chiles in each. So I guess that is somewhere around 75 cents/bag. As if anybody freezes green chile to save money.

No comments: