Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Painting China

HIGHLAND--One of the best surprises about being retired is how much fun I am having! And part of it came from going to the Highland Senior Center to check things out. I signed up for China Painting the first time I went there. No, it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. And the starting materials were certainly not cheap. And my hands and fingers are so big that it is hard to curl them around those little brushes. But there was something about sitting around a table with some really interesting people trying to make wild roses on a plate. I have done it for a month...2 or 3 hours once a week. I am still working on my plate...a pretty small plate, actually. It has 4 roses and a lot of leaves. This kind of painting requires that it be fired every time you add a new layer of detail. Time flies. A lot of the credit goes to the instructor, Lena Avila. But all the painters are so encouraging and patient. Thanks everybody.

No comments: