Monday, September 27, 2004

POP QUIZ: NOB HILL HISTORY & THEN A CONFESSION

NOB HILL--Here is a picture from the past, probably around 1940. The "Little Chief Lunch" was located in what is now referred to as Nob Hill. Can you tell me where? What is located at that address now? What building is now situated in the photo's parking lot? Is any part of that sign still in existence? Click on the photo to enlarge and see the details better.

The first person to email me with the correct answer will win a free coupon from my Entertainment book! These coupons are usually twofers.

By the way, in a previous post (Sept. 16) I stated that since I was old enough to vote I had voted for every Democrat that ran for President except one. What I didn't say was that I didn't vote for anybody that election. The Democrat I didn't vote for was Hubert Humphrey. I was in Chicago when Humphrey was nominated. In fact, I was in the streets of Chicago when Humphrey was nominated. He stonewalled all the questions about the war as much as Johnson. The other Dem peace candidates were either out of the running (McCarthy) or dead (RFK). There was NO hope it seemed. So I didn't vote. Nixon won. It wouldn't have made a difference, but I should have voted because I knew that Nixon was no good. My not voting did help him.

I am bringing this up because upon rereading what I had written before it was possible to interpret what I had written to mean that I had voted for Nader four years ago. I would NEVER again vote for a candidate that had no chance of winning. It is bound to hurt one candidate or the other, so make your choice between the majors and vote your heart. In this election, a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush. So vote for Kerry or Bush...don't make that same mistake I did in not voting. You will regret it. There IS a lot to lose here.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. This is Garth of America's Outback (americasoutback.typepad.com). That blogger sign-in thing had me stumped so I am posting "anon-i-mouse-ly"....

I agree with you that a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush and I would certainly not vote Nader in this election... But a Vote for Badnarik (at least in some states) may be a vote for Kerry by the same token... I read someplace that the Libertarian Candidate was getting a reasonable large 3% in Nevada and had made some inroads elsewhere. And while he is crazy, he is also one of the few outspoken anti-war candidates with any national exposure at all...

I am split between him (though voting for a nutcase does not seem all that prudent) and Kerry. We must defeat Bush...

Anonymous said...

This is Garth from America's Outback... Thanks for the comment and directing me to your excellent site.. I shall add it to the blogroll ...

I am trying again to comment... Blogger and I have a storied and difficult relationship... I suspect the big B has installed some sort of software on my machine to make using any of their services difficult.... I used to have my site on Blogger but that was back in the day when they didn't offer comments section or decent tracking information and you had to outsource photo hosting.. and the system was buggy... So I abandoned them to Typepad - the most excellent service by Movable Type... And I trashed Blogger in some posts ... Who knows..

In any event I agree with you about a Nader vote being a Bush vote and I would not vote Nader.. But Badnarik (LP) is another of the few anti-war candidates and a vote for him is a vote for Kerry - at least in some places like Nevada where I read that in one poll he got 3%... Not a make-or-break, but respectable. While he is a nutbar and I have a problem voting for crazy people... I am still trying to decide between him and Kerry... Most likely it will be Kerry - Bush has to be defeated